- Urges transparency
Emmanuel Nlewedum, Port Harcourt
Following the planned resumption of oil exploration in Ogoniland in Rivers State, the people of Ogoni have been urged to uphold peace and avoid actions that could lead to a repeat of the crisis that erupted in the area in the 1990s.
In August 1990, the Ogoni elders we gathered, signed the Ogoni Bill of Rights, demanding political control of Ogoni affairs by Ogoni people, control and use of a fair proportion of Ogoni economic resources for development of the area, adequate and direct representation as of right in all Nigerian institutions, and the right to protect the Ogoni environment and ecology from further degradation.
Between 1990 to 1995, the Ogoni people struggled with Shell Petroleum Development Company, SPDC, and Nigeria over issues that was not unconnected to oil exploration in Ogoniland. On November 10, 1995, the famous Environmental Activist, Ken Saro-Wiwa and 8 other prominent Ogoni sons, popularly referred to as “Ogoni Nine” were killed.
Irked by the tension already emerging in Ogoni following the planned oil resumption in the area by the Federal Government, Factional President of the Movement of the Survival of the Ogoni People (MOSOP), Fegalo Nsuke, in a statement made available to newsmen by his aide, appealed to the people to follow due process in the proposed oil resumption, to avoid another round of crisis that will not mean well for the people.
He said that despite the dissatisfaction of the people over the direction of oil resumption talks, it is their duty to uphold the peace, assuring that the issues surrounding oil resumption in Ogoniland will be sorted out to benefit the people and the Federal Government.
Nsuke, who was quoted to have made the appeal while addressing a gathering of kingdom coordinators of MOSOP at the National Secretariat of MOSOP in Bori, Khana Local Government Area, expressed worries over the current approach of the Federal Government government to extract oil from Ogoni without the input of MOSOP.
He alleged that the current approach by some leaders runs contrary to the intentions of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, who had directed a robust and inclusive engagement of all critical stakeholders in the process.
He expressed worry that “desperation and greed have driven some people against the struggle and they have started chasing what will fill their individual pockets.”
Nsuke urged all the grassroots coordinators to stand for the truth, and accused the team which recently visited President Tinubu of attempting to mislead the president.
He noted that the entire process is choreographed to achieve a predetermined goal while giving the impression that discussion is ongoing.
“The president, Bola Tinubu, said they should talk to everyone. They are not doing so. Rather, they are trying to manipulate the process to achieve their selfish goals. They love crises, but we want development in our land. And we strongly believe that a democrat like the President will not allow another era of Ogoni killings.”
Nsuke urged the people to be vigilant, remain peaceful and non-violent, noting that the enemies will try to introduce violence in the system to justify a possible repression and military crackdown.
“Do not take the laws into your hands. Our struggle is a peaceful one and we are only asking for fair treatment for the Ogoni people. Remain firm and make your voice heard.”
He also urged the Ogoni people to defend the interest of Ogoni by not emulating some persons who only think of their pockets.
He said that real Ogoni patriots have been complaining that the oil resumption process has not been “transparent nor inclusive. What they are doing so far has been deceptive and completely dishonest.
He accused the drivers of the process of “showing disrespect for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, who had instructed that discussions on oil resumption should be inclusive and accommodate the views of all critical stakeholders.”
Nsuke said that MOSOP, which championed the Ogoni cause and edged Shell out of Ogoni cannot be excluded from oil resumption discussion.
He added that, “The Ogoni oil would not have been available for grabs if not for the struggles of MOSOP. The whole of Ogoni cannot fight for the oil and some few individuals will take the wealth. That is not acceptable. MOSOP fought for a better future for the Ogoni and MOSOP’s decision is critical in charting the way forward” he said.
“Anyone seeking to exclude MOSOP from oil production discussions is already creating a situation of distrust and MOSOP urges President Tinubu to intervene in the matter to restore trust and decency.”