Champion Newspapers Limited
For a better society

Relocation of Miscreants: Sanwo-Olu orders investigation, denies giving such directive, says Adeleke

.80% of buildings in Ibeju-Lekki lack approval, says Lagos govt

30
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke said there was an interface with his  Lagos State counterpart, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, over an alleged deportation of Osun indigenes from Lagos to Ilesa.

Adeleke noted that Sanwo-Olu had promised to carry out immediate investigation, saying he did not order any such directive.

In a release signed by the spokesperson to Governor Adeleke, Mallam Olawale Rasheed, it was revealed that the former had interfaced with his Lagos State counterpart over a report of an alleged deportation of Osun indigenes from Lagos to Ilesa area of Osun State.

A media report had on Saturday published a story about several luxury buses dropping hundreds of youths at Ilesa after allegedly rounding them up in several parts of Lagos State.

According to Rasheed, the report was confirmed by an investigation team set up to confirm the veracity of the story by the Osun State Government.

The state team reported that eye witness accounts confirmed the dropping of the youths in several luxurious buses by a team suspected to be from Lagos State.

He further disclosed, the state’s report showed that the youths were systematically dropped at Ilesa-Akure Express junction, Breweries; Ilesa – Ibodi – Iginla to Ife Express junction; Osun Ankara Express junction; Imelu Express junction; and Iperindo Express junction.

It would be recalled that the Lagos State Government over the weekend had relocated 371 miscreants to their states of origin for constituting public nuisance in the State.

In a statement signed by the State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Gbenga Omotoso, on Sunday, of the 450 miscreants rescued, 371 pleaded for assistance to relocate to their various states due to the hardship they were facing in Lagos.

Lagos State Government had disclosed that it had launched a manhunt for the acclaimed ‘landlords’ who rented out under-bridge apartments to tenants in the State.

Earlier, the state government had, last week, dislodged tenants under Dolphins Estate Bridge, who claimed that they paid N250, 000 annually to landlords involved in the nefarious act.

Also, the state government announced the discovery of another illegal settlement under Osborne Bridge, Ikoyi.

It was not independently confirmed by Daily Champion if some of those 371 deportees were from Osun State.

But, according to the release by Adeleke’s spokesperson, Osun Governor’s interaction with Sanwo-Olu on the incident, the latter promised to investigate to unravel the facts of the situation.

Governor Adeleke expressed shock at the development, urging Governor Sanwo-Olu to look into the matter and put an end to it if the report is true.

“I spoke with my brother, Governor Sanwo-Ou on the matter. He too was surprised and he denied ever authorizing any such action.

“Governor Sanwo-Olu has promised immediate investigation to unravel the facts of the situation. The Lagos team will update us as quickly as possible.

“I am subsequently directing our security agencies in Osun to mount surveillance in and around Ilesa to track the deported youths and their destinations.

“I will update our people on this development. I urge residents to be calm while the security agencies carry out surveillance,” Governor Adeleke was quoted as saying.

.80% of buildings in Ibeju-Lekki lack approval, says Lagos govt

IBRAHIM QUADRI

The Lagos State government has disclosed that 80 per cent of the buildings within the Ibeju-Lekki axis have no approval.

The State commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Oluyinka Olumide made the disclosure while speaking with newsmen.

Olumide said, “Just last week Thursday and Friday, myself and the team were in the Ibeju Lekki and Epe axis and you would agree with me that anybody passing through that corridor would see a lot of estates marked.

“We went there, and I can tell you that from what we saw, over 80 per cent of them do not have approval,” Olumide said.

The state government has been criticisms for the demolition of buildings and shanties across the state, with the recent one at Mende, Maryland.

The state commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab, had repeatedly said the demolished structures contravened the city’s masterplan.

He noted that they were never approved by the relevant agencies, and blocked drainage channels which resulted in flooding frequently experienced.

Olumide, stating the procedures for obtaining approval, noted that a layout permit cannot be obtained if it is not zoned for the purpose it was designed for or for the purpose it was being requested.

Meanwhile, Wahab, on Sunday, said owners of recently demolished property in Maryland had been served notices since 2021.

“We are not just doing demolitions. The law allows us to remove encumbrances on the right of way of the drainage channels,” Environment Commissioner said on Channels Television.

The government has continued to issue notices to owners of buildings with no approval while some have been demolished upon the expiration of the notice.

“So, you can see all these layers, but people still go ahead to start advertising. Some have even gone to the extent of displaying the sizes they want to sell. Imagine someone in the diaspora who wants to send money without any knowledge. Then, no approval is eventually gotten.

“Even if they pass the assignment and the survey to them, we would not grant the individual permit, because that area is not zoned for that purpose,” Wahab stated.

 

For a better society

—————————————————————–

Kindly follow us across all our social media platforms to stay up-to-date with the latest news and happenings in Nigeria and across the globe.

Facebook – https://facebook.com/championnewsonline

Instagram – https://instagram.com/championnewsonline

Twitter– @championnewsng

Comments are closed.